Saturday, August 29, 2009

not so beautiful artwork

I was not having the greatest day today. My grandma is in the hospital with pneumonia and is not doing well. She does not remember me, even when I tell her my name. She has had dementia for several years now, but it has progressed to a point where most of us are not recognized. I did spend a couple of hours with her, helped/watched her eat, and sat with her while she slept, all the while, tears rolled down my face. It's so hard to watch her and think of the memories and not see her face light up when she sees me, just like it used to. The hugs and kisses before leaving aren't there anymore. I touched her and rubbed her arm and kept trying to talk to her, but nothing made sense.

Anyhow, I came home with a huge headache from crying for hours. A short time later, Mike found this not so beautiful artwork on a little girls wall. And yes, it was done in black permanent marker.


I told her that her room wasn't pretty any more now that she scribbled black on her beautiful pink walls and that it wasn't a "princess" room anymore. Sigh. I guess it's time to buy some more primer and paint. I don't even know why I bother...it's just in addition to white out on her headboard and dresser and other scribbles on the back of her door. We really do try to keep the markers out of reach of her and Jayden. But she's almost 5 years old, shouldn't she know better by now? Sigh.

No comments: