Tuesday, September 1, 2009

pronounciation

Some days I have troubles reading words the way they are supposed to be pronounced. And it's been going on for years. It's to the point now where I find it funny to think of how I pronounced words.

Many, many years ago, when I was a young child, I remember traveling to MN (I believe) with my mom and my grandma when we came upon a sign. I remember asking, "what are 'ant-e-cues'?" And I got a rumble of laughter when they actually figured out what it was I was reading. It was an "antique" sign!

Lately, whenever I see the word "photographer" in my head I pronounce it "photo-grapher", like it's two separate words. Then I just shake my head in disbelief.

When Jayden was younger, I used to pronounce every letter in the word, which made for some funny sounding words. My "knee" was my "k-a-nee". My "ear" was my "err". Then I started realizing that I should pronounce the words correctly for him to learn the correct sounds. (The fact that he receives speech therapy has nothing to do with this.)

Anyhow, I think this must be one of my quirks or something, or one of the many.

No comments: