Monday, September 7, 2009

spontaneous decision

I've got a habit of making spontaneous decisions, even though I try to take the advice my parents gave me, sometimes I just can't do that, and make the decision on the spur of the moment. The end result is not always bad, either! I mean, we've ended up with some very nice vehicles, random household items, tents, yard games, etc. So why would one more decision make a difference?

This weekend, at the state fair, I met a very lovable little puppy, a Basset Hound puppy, a puppy that loved me, slept on my chest, nuzzled my chin, and he was the breed of puppy I have always wanted. Innocent and sweet he was. He was soft, snugly, and he was light tan and white, which means he was beyond any type of cute I have ever seen.
I wanted him. I turned to my husband, who had no idea quite how badly I wanted him. The girls were also begging to get him. As I'm begging my husband for him, he kept saying the price to me. But really, what is the price of love?
No, I did not get the puppy. Had he been in our neighborhood, I might have snuck over there and got him. The point being, I could have easily made the spontaneous decision to buy him. But I didn't.

Today, Mike and I headed into Brookings for a date lunch, or a lunch date if you prefer it that way or if you follow me on twitter, you would understand the point of a lunch date or a date lunch. We haven't been on an actual date in forever. Seriously.

Ahem...anyhow....

We headed to town, ate lunch, and went to Slumberland. I really wanted to see what kind of Labor Day sales were going on and look at bedroom furniture, captains beds for Devin, and just see what other good buys were there.

We've been talking about getting a King size bed for quite some time now, especially since our bedroom is huge and could easily fit that size. So we looked at several different bedroom sets, tried laying on lots of mattresses and basically decided on a bed we liked. It was so comfortable. But if we were going to buy a king size bed, then we had to buy a new frame, and a new headboard, which lead us to buying, well, an entire bedroom set for our bedroom.

Gulp.

Those aren't cheap anymore. Not that they ever were. But we got an awesome deal. So in about 8 weeks, hopefully it will be here. I guess Christmas came early at our house!

So, this spontaneous decision has led me to feeling a bit unsure of it. We had intended on looking, not necessarily buying. However, it led to more than just looking. I think we will be entirely happy when it's here and when we can repaint the ugly walls. Ugh. (that's a whole 'nother post). Let's just say, my dream colors for my bedroom are NOT at all what I like now. Oh well, new paint, new bedroom set, new bed. Yay!

All in all, I said no to the adorable puppy, but could not say no the bedroom set. I guess the spontaneity in me will always be there and sometimes it may feel right, and sometimes it may not.

No comments: