Wednesday, July 22, 2009

hysterically near death

I was really wanting to do a different type of post tonight, but blogger is not loading any pictures, so I sit here trying to decide what to write.

My mind was on a one track mission towards a totally different post. Now it's here. With a case of writer's block. Except I think back to some strange occurrences recently this summer.

One....maybe two tonight. One several months ago.

Driving home on the highway earlier this summer, I was cruising slightly fast, but very legal. I promise. I had my cruise set, sun was behind me, it was a great drive home. I found myself between two beautiful lakes weed infested sloughs, with small shoulders that are labeled as soft, when I looked ahead and noticed a car coming straight at me.

As I drive closer, I notice this car is not moving into their own lane and is coming at me head-on. My mind begins to race as I wonder what will I do, where will I go, and why is this car not moving over? More questions spill onto my lap as I pee my pants seriously wonder what will happen if I splash into the sloughs in a last effort to avoid this car.

Finally, the car speeds frantically into the other lane, their own lane and I proceed on down the highway thinking that person had to be crazy! Why would they pass when there was a car coming.

But then it dawned on me. I think I knew that person. It really looked like my step-mom, Mary. So I call her. The phone rings.

Mary: "Hello?"
Val: "Hi. Are you driving on highway 14?"
Mary: "Yes, was that you I just about killed?"
Val: "Ummm, ya, what the heck?" (as we are laughing)
Mary: "Well I couldn't see you, you didn't have your lights on."
Val: "It's sunny out, I didn't need my lights on."

That's the just of that. Of all the places in the world to be at that exact moment in time, it was her, and it was me.

Ahem. Let's move on to today. At the girls softball game.

I'm standing there talking to Mary. Remember, my step-mom? We we're looking down at one of my kids talking about how adorable she is. I look up in time to see my ex-husband tossing a softball back over the fence. We we're behind the face. Safe right?

It's then, that he tells me he caught it, or it would have hit my head. He said it was headed straight for my head, but he reached up and caught it.

Can you see where this is going?

Yep, I must say, I think my step-mom brings a near death aura with her when she's by me. Because it certainly would explain the car incident and the softball almost hitting me in the head, while we looked at one of my kids, while we talked about how cute she is. Of course!

So I guess today, I am lucky. I am lucky to be alive. Maybe next time when I am near my step-mom, I will have all protective gear in place.

Whew! With that being said, I will attempt again tomorrow to post my original post from today tomorrow. Make sense?

No comments: