Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Children Learn What They Live

(I have a button on my sidebar about Praying For Kayleigh. Sweet Kayleigh went to be with Jesus on Monday night. She was just a few short weeks from spending an entire year in the NICU.)

I love this poem. I hand it out to the families I work with. It's so simple, yet has such a huge meaning.

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.
If a child learns to feel shame, he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement he learns confidence
If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice.
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world.


I also love the Toddler's Creed.

If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine.
If I take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anybody else, no matter what.
If we are building something together, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it's mine.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

It was so hard to read the post. I seriously had to go back about 3 times to get all the way through it. Breaks my heart.

Janet said...

I have this exact text in my baby book, my brother's baby book, in my son's baby book and also printed up nice on the wall in the my favorikids room. It's a fave of ours!

ps Nice family picture!!!