Wednesday, May 6, 2009

changes

We finally got the results of Shaylee's HIDA scan and it was abnormal. I was not prepared for this, nor was it what I was expecting. I was told her injection fraction was at 19% and normal is anything greater than 35%. She did test negative for acute gall bladder. The surgeon here in town won't see her because she is a child, so she has an appointment in Sioux Falls on May 20th.
It will be up to him if he takes out her gall bladder. At this point, I'm not sure what our other options consist of. We do know that it is extremely rare for a child to need their gall bladder removed.

The ironic part of the news we received today is the date of the appointment. I have had an appointment scheduled for Jayden to see Dr. K for over a month. His appointment is May 20th at 2:30pm. Then when I receive the phone call from M she tells me that Shaylee will be seeing Dr. K in Sioux Falls on May 20th at 2:00pm. How ironic is that that M was able to call the doctor's office, schedule a new appointment for a new patient, and get it to be a back to back appointment with my son, which they have no clue they are related. Is that possible?

The other kicker to this is Jayden will most likely be having surgery on the 21st. It is scheduled, but anything can change up to that time, especially when he sees Dr. K. At his appointment the doctor will look him over and discuss the procedure and how it goes. Dr. K will have the ultimate decision on whether he will operate or not. Now how ironic would it be if Shaylee ended up having her surgery the same day as Jayden? Wow, I never thought I would imagine two of my kids going into surgery at the same time. How does a mother do that?

The next piece of news, Jayden had a meeting for his IFSP. They have decided to increase his speech therapy to twice a week. We're hoping now that he has turned 2 that his speech will explode, which is very typical at this age. Either it will, or it won't. We vote for the first one. We also will be starting to use some pictures to offer him choices and using a few signs (sign language) to help him communicate. I have been using a couple with him (eat, all done, more). Hopefully he'll catch on and be able to communicate in his own way so he's not so frustrated.

1 comment:

Kath- said...

WOW!! Keep us posted