Saturday, October 3, 2009

toddlers and medicine

So yesterday was a day to visit the doctor for both Jayden and I. We've had the sickies in our house for several weeks. I can't remember the last time everyone was healthy. My sore throat has been persistent for close to two weeks. When I woke up yesterday and this morning I could hardly breathe. My chest and throat felt like it was clamped off and I couldn't get air in very well. I also was lacking my voice (which Mike found hilarious) on and off the past couple of days.

I called the doctors office and was very thankful even though he was only working half the day and was booked that he still agreed to see me. Then I had to call back again and beg and plead on my hands and knees see if he would be willing to see Jayden as well. Good thing (maybe?) that Jayden has such a medical history that his doctor is willing to see him anytime he needs to be seen.

We both were given prescriptions for antibiotics. I have a very swollen throat and Jayden has a runny nose and goopy ears. I suggested we try a chewable antibiotic because pinning him down and gagging him with the medicine is surely not fun.

I go to Wal-Mart and stroll through the store for about 45 minutes until our prescriptions filled, spending money I don't have, on things I don't need (well, not entirely true) and then head home. I cut his pull in half and give it to Jayden because I know he's going to flip a cartwheel and beg for more because it tastes like candy he'll really like the chewable pill, just like his vitamins. Nope. Out onto the floor it went.

Sigh. We call the pharmacy and they suggest smashing it into powder and putting it in his food. So I put it in the applesauce and gave it to him. He took one bite, then another, and then he shuddered and pushed it away. Now I'm thinking what next? I call the doctor, who is gone for the weekend, and ask the receptionist what to do. Thankfully the doctor came back to the clinic and he called in a new prescription. This time it's liquid.

I guess it's back to taking two people to pin him down, hold his hands and legs, put the syringe in his mouth and leave it there while I slowly squirt the medicine in. Oh well, at least I know he's getting the medicine and hopefully he'll get better soon.

As for me, I swallow my pills with no trouble. Maybe someday soon he'll start doing the same. Ha!

No comments: