Sunday, October 11, 2009

taco soup

I've had a few requests for my taco soup recipe. Well, I can't call it my recipe so to speak because I found it somewhere else. But it is mine now and will be used again because this taco soup was delicious! I'll give you a photo tutorial of how to eat it because I'm sure you're thinking how exactly do you eat taco soup? For starters, once it's cooked, you dish 1/2 to 3/4 of the soup into your bowl.

Then add some lettuce.


And a dollop of sour cream. I tend to use a bigger dollop.

And a handful of cheddar cheese.

Throw some tortilla chips on top. We also tried them on the bottom, but they get soggier faster. If you don't mind soggy, then the bottom works pretty slick, too. Some of the kids preferred to have their chips on the side to use them to scoop. And that worked too.

Stir it up and wah-la. Taco Soup! Enjoy!


Taco Soup
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans pinto beans (I used 3 cans and the reduced sodium.)
2 cans corn
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoes and chilies
1 packet taco seasoning (I used Ortega.)
1 packet ranch dressing mix (I used Hidden Valley.)
1 lb. ground turkey or hamburger (I used turkey.)
shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, tortillas
Brown the meat, drain, and put the meat on the bottom of the crock pot.
Sprinkle the seasoning packets on top of meat.
Drain and rinse the beans and add.
Drain the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans.
Stir.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. I think the longer you cook it the better it tastes. I cooked ours on low for 9 hours. Stir well and serve with a handful of shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream and tortillas.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

what's the ranch dressing for? It looks good; sounds good...but the man of the house doesn't like ranch.

Val said...

It must season it. But there is no "ranch" taste to it at all. I was expecting it to have that flavor, but there wasn't any.