Saturday, November 7, 2009

another spontaneous decision

I had another day today that led me into a very spontaneous decision. Do you remember several months ago when I posted on my issues about those decisions? So, here's the deal, when we bought the house, we transformed a very small room into a bedroom perfect for a 3 (now 4 year old) by adding a window to it. This room had very ugly, orange shag carpet, that had a slight scent to it. Off and on for the past year, I've noticed that smell and I've really hated it, but lately, the smell seems to have gotten worse, so today I pulled out the carpet cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of it. I put the fan in the door way, opened the window and let it dry for hours, except the smell was worse.

So.....I decided heck with this, I'm ripping this carpet out. And I did. I yanked and pulled, heaved and hoed, until the carpet was out.
One problem, almost all of the padding stayed on the floor.
I started scrapping and pulling. The padding was only coming off in little tiny pieces. At this rate it was going to take forever. Then, Shawndra came in and asked if I wanted help, so she started pushing and pulling.
I ended up going to town for the third time today and get some new blades for the scrapper and I picked up some chemical stripper. When I got home, Jayden had decided he was going to help too. He's such a good helper.
I put some of the stripper down and worked in a different area. Then I went back to that are where the chemical stuff was at work and realized that it wasn't coming off much easier. In the meantime, I started feeling burned. Here I had gotten myself into the wet chemical stripper in my capri's and flip flops. I tried wiping it off with my gloves, which I think had the stripper on it too, spreading it into more areas. I went into the bathroom and ran some water on it and man did that hurt!
So that was it. I told Shawndra to get out of there because she was in shorts and no shoes. I'll deal with the mess tomorrow. Besides, my hands are extremely sore from the pliers, putty knives, and scrapers. Maybe I've even got blisters forming.
The status of the room? Well, we have maybe 1/4 of the padding up. I did buy a remnant for us to lay down once we get the padding up. Then we'll decide if we're going to cut into the wall to make a closet or not.
All in all, another very spontaneous decision has left my house awry. Considering I spent the entire morning getting after the kids to help clean, you can't even tell we did anything. There's a bed, box spring, frame, headboard, dresser and clutter all over every where. Wow. What a crazy day! I'll post more pictures tomorrow of the progress. I'm just glad that ugly orange carpet is gone.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I wonder what caused the smell?

Val said...

We had the same problem but worse with the boys room. We had to replace their carpet the day after we moved in. I sometimes wonder if they had some "pet" issues or water coming in through the wall... It was a mixture of the cat pee and mildew smell. So far, the floor doesn't look like there was water, but it's taking FOREVER to find the floor under all that ancient padding.