Tuesday, November 17, 2009

a deer or two

I have two squirrel friends outside my office who have been there since the day I got my job. It's fun to watch them run and fly from tree to tree, eat corn cobs, and play with each other. This little guy was having a tasty snack after work today.
Yesterday I took my camera with me to work in hopes of finding some interesting pictures along the way. Sometimes I think I'm bringing it to take pictures of the deer I might hit with my car...because I've never hit a deer before or another vehicle for that matter, at least not as a driver. So if that day should come, I'll want to document it...because that's what I do. Let's just hope you don't see pictures of something like that on here.
Ok, off that little bunny trail. Anyhow, on my way home I stopped to take a lot of pictures, but those will come in different posts. I did get some really neat pictures though. As I drove closer to Sinai, I was on the look out for deer because the sun was going down and I was in an area where I have seen deer before.
I drove to the cemetery on the west side of the road and thought to myself, "how clever to put deer decoys in a cemetery", but then they started to move. It was surreal. I drove past, but wondered if they might still be there. So I whipped a cookie on the road and went back.
Doesn't it look like a decoy?

And here is what I saw initially when I pulled to stop. Of course I was snapping lots of pictures, not of high quality, but more to use as proof of these amazing creatures that I rarely see alive. I was mesmerized by them and I think they were curious about me. They ran towards me, stopped, went around in circles, ran back, came towards me again and then started to take off.
I lurched forward and pulled into the entrance of the cemetery. By this time the deer were moving a bit faster and leaving the cemetery. With my zoom lens maxed out, I still managed to get a shot or two of them jumping over the fence.
Considering I am not a hunter, have never walked a field or sat quietly waiting for a deer, this was the highlight of my evening. I found precisely what I was looking for.

No comments: