Tuesday, November 3, 2009

finding my sanity

Is it bad when I try to find my sanity sitting on the toilet with the door locked? And then I can hear the craziness going on outside the locked door. The dog chasing the cat, the cat howling in prissiness at the dog, Jayden chasing the dog who's chasing the cat, Devin who's chasing Jayden who's chasing the dog who's chasing the cat, Shaylee practicing on her flute, the boys playing cars, the TV talking, dishwasher humming, and there I sit. On the toilet, praying for peace and a little sanity.

I just want to sit there and hide, bury my head in my hands, turn on the shower, and pretend I don't hear anything. And then I hear it. "It's hard taking care of all of us, isn't it?" My response was, "It's hard when everything is messy, everything is loud, otherwise, no, it's not that hard." Was that considered lying through my teeth? No.

My husband has turned into a farmer during all the hours when he's not at his full-time job, which has led me to being a single mom to 6 kids. Working full-time during the day and working full-time at night, alone, is hard.

I also find my sanity with my blog. It's a place for me to type my thoughts as fast as my fingers can type (which is pretty fast I've been told). There's no proofreading, just honest thoughts. As I type now, I hear nothing, except the dishwasher humming. For a split second I think, oh no quiet is bad, it always means they're getting into something. However, this evening, I have many small children in bed. Quiet. Peace and quiet.

I haven't even had time to take any pictures since Halloween. 3 full days my camera has gone untouched. I do plan to get the big guy out again soon, maybe tomorrow.

For that brief second all was quiet. Things have changed. The dog is chasing the cat, again. Can you see where this goes from here? What do you do to capture your sanity?

6 comments:

Kath- said...

WOW Val I think you and I were having the same kind of night. Well that is Minus two kids!! Logan doing homework, Austin singing Logan telling him to shut up. Hunter walking around bobbing his head and he listens to his ipod smart kid wish I would of thought of that to block out the craziness. Grace yelling at gage to get away from Zoey which on the other hand she had it opposit zoey was buggin gage. UGH!! I am exhausted and deffinately ready for bed. Oh wait I have housework to do sigh.....

Val said...

I really thought about just staying in the bathroom forever. LOL.

Crystal said...

It's hard to get peace with just my TWO...can't imagine six right now. Go, SuperMom, go!!

p.S. I was testing to see if my phone would upload something to the blog. It did the words but I was trying to upload a video, which doesn't seem to want to work! :(

Victoria said...

One word: tequila. Works for me!

Val said...

Tequilla...years ago, not so much anymore.

Victoria said...

I bowl on a ladies league and group that's all women, mothers, adult-time. You might need an outlet of some sort. Or a hobby. One that you can not do with your children, so you have to get away. Its wonderful.