Wednesday, November 25, 2009

silly stuff

Yesterday after we had finished with a PALS (Play And Learn Session), my assistant and I were cleaning up. I found myself wondering where exactly the stinky diaper had gone during PALS. I was aware a mother changed the diaper, but never seen her bring the diaper out and she didn't have a diaper bag. It was then that I noticed I have a diaper genie. How brilliant! A diaper genie sitting right there by the changing table for those nasty, stinky diapers to be placed.

Sounds simple, right? Ahem....

I could not figure out how to open the darn thing. I tried staring down into the dark abyss to see if for fact the diaper was actually in the diaper genie, but the smell confirmed my intuitions. I tugged and pulled at the top of the genie trying to get the blasted lid off, but it was stuck. And I mean really stuck. Or maybe it was supposed to be that way. I decided the bag had to come out one way or another, so I started to pull the sack out because I knew this was a sure fire way to get it out.

The sack started coming out the top, but so did the top of the genie. Now I really had a dilemma. The genie was coming apart, the sack was falling out, but the diaper was still no where to be seen. Right there on the bottom, I noticed a foot pedal. I stepped on it and the genie opened from the bottom.

Alrighty then. So I start pulling the bag from the bottom because surely I would find the end by starting at the bottom. I pulled and pulled....and pulled. By this time, I realize I am not dealing with a bag, but an endless piece of plastic with a lost diaper some where in the middle of this endless tube of plastic.

I walk out into the hallway, pulling the plastic, dragging the genie behind me, holding the diaper which was stuck in the plastic, and asked my assistant (who is a retired grandma) if she knew how to work on of these...except, neither of us could get through out laughter and tears due to the mess I was standing in. Of course she knew nothing about the diaper genie. But she had a brilliant idea!

"Can you just cut it out of there?" Now why didn't I think of that? I grabbed my scissors and started cutting the top, then the bottom. The nasty diaper was stuck inside, but so was the top of the genie. I cut a hole in the middle and pulled the top out and left the diaper in. By the end of this fiasco, I had at least 30 feet of endless plastic and 1 stinky dirty diaper and a tear streaked face.

Apparently I am getting old because diaper genies never used to be that hard to work. Again, my assistant came with great words of wisdom, "when you move, Val, that, stays here".

Whew...what a day!!

--------------------------------------------
My husband and I enjoy Farmville on Facebook. You can also play it on the web. It's lots of fun and very addicting. In fact, our oldest girls also farm. The other night, as Mike was going through his feed to see what was new, he exclaimed, "HEY! When did I lay an egg?!" Let's just say he still hasn't heard the end of that one.

No comments: