Friday, August 27, 2010

tonight was different

Jayden continues to have tantrums, but more so at bedtime than during the night. Tonight I tried something a bit different. Jayden was crying and screaming when we tucked him in to bed. He wouldn't allow us to tuck him in. This is normal. It usually takes several times of leaving the room and coming back before we succeed. But tonight was different.

I explained to Jayden that daddy was leaving to take Stewie for a walk, so he won't be here. I explained that if he wanted daddy to give him hugs and kisses now was the time. His cry got sadder, but still wouldn't let daddy tuck him in. So I told him one more time. He still didn't allow it. So we left the room.

He immediately started crying in his saddest cry for daddy. Except, I wouldn't let daddy go in there because we had told him that was the only time. I went in there and picked up up since he was standing by the door. I told him daddy was walking Stewie and wasn't here right now and reminded him that we told him daddy was leaving. I told him I loved him. Gave him a hug and kiss and left the room.

I can't remember if he cried when I left. If he did it was for a minute or so. And he's been sleeping since. Thank you God for this. For a brief flicker of light at the really distant tunnel. I know, now, that we can do this.

No comments: