Friday, August 6, 2010

ironic

A little story about something ironic. Something ironic that happened to come full circle today.

I have been craving Special K bars all day. Bad. I dug out my recipe and tried calling my mom hoping she would buy the ingredients and bring them to me. But when I called her, the phone went straight to voice mail, both times. So I gave up. I questioned if I would be able to make a trip to the store with my knee and told my husband we were headed to Wal-Mart tonight so I could get out of the house and buy those said ingredients.

I talked to my mom on the way to Wal-Mart and she said I needed to stop by to see the tree that was cut down. Anyhow, that's beside the point.

We went to Wal-Mart, bought all the ingredients I need to make the bars, talked to my favorite cashier about making those bars, laughed a lot, and headed out.

Our next stop was to my mom's to see the tree. It was odd not being there, but didn't look abnormally strange. It was a huge, gigantic weeping willow tree. The tree is gone. As Mike and I sit in the driveway we have the following conversation.

Mike: "We could just back out and they wouldn't know we were here or not."
Me: "Ya. I guess."
Mike: "It's up to you."
Me: "Well, what if they have goodies today." (I'm always looking for something sweet to eat.)
Mike: "Do they usually have goodies?"
Me: "Well no, but what if TONIGHT they do have goodies??"
Mike: "Ok then." (And he puts the car in park.)

We go inside and have a little conversation, watch the dog, stare at the tv, laugh about different things and then my mom heads to the kitchen and starts messing around. Right away, I start joking, "hey you got goodies in there??" She comes to the living room and asked if I could smell them. I said no.

Here she is carrying, two napkins, one for Mike and I with a bar on them. My eyes bulge out of my head and I start asking "are those Special K bars?" over and over in complete disbelief. My mom thought I was going a bit nuts. Then I explained the story about wanting these bars all day and how we had just bought the ingredients.

My mom never bakes or ever has any goodies. And tonight, ironically enough, she had the very bars I had been craving without ever saying a word to her about them.

Ironic.

1 comment:

Kath- said...

That is so awesome!