Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas or what should have been

UPDATED:
My dad and Mary were able to get plowed out and Christmas happened! It was a wonderful evening and I'm so thankful everyone could be together. Mike even got home after another 14 hour day, just in time to eat. :)

ORIGINAL:
Christmas has come and gone and the Blizzard of 2009 has started to leave our vicinity. Or at least I hope so. I have become all too familiar with how to run the snow blower, which I have never done in the past. I have also learned what it's like to pretend like Christmas Eve is just a regular day.

Or at least until my husband came in from a 15 1/2 hour day plowing. Then we quickly opened presents and sent the little ones off to bed. Christmas Eve was supposed to be the day to celebrate with homemade soup and dumplings, but due to the weather, it was canceled. Instead, we had frozen fish sticks and fruit.

Christmas Day was almost canceled and probably should have been, but thankfully my mom and Craig live on a busy road that leads straight to the HWY. So they made it. Volga was tricky and they got stuck numerous times trying to get out when we were done, but did make it back to Brookings. We did enjoy one of the best tasting turkey's I think I've ever had. It was so tender and so full of flavor. Everything we ate was delicious.

Today, we were supposed to try our homemade soup and dumplings Christmas again, but from the sounds of it, that won't be happening either. My dad and Mary are still waiting for the plow to come to the lake and plow their road. So far, nothing.

My husband has been working many, many, many hours plowing this Christmas break. Enough to where it really hasn't felt much like Christmas to me. Bah Hum Bug.

I'm hoping to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow. That will probably seem like a wonderful vacation by the time I get there.

Here's to hoping this weather settles down, the wind fades, and the stars appear.....

No comments: