Tuesday, March 31, 2009

what a day

The day started with school being called off this morning for the terrible blizzard that never really hit. It was the most ridiculous snow day ever. The snow melted the minute it hit the ground and was over 35 degrees outside. Many people were disgusted that school was called and I don't blame them.
I started rinsing dishes this morning with water that didn't seem very hot. I called the husband to question what could possibly be wrong, since we hadn't used any water. Well, it was warm, just not hot. Then I went to take a shower and I didn't have to turn any cold water on and within 5 minute I was in luke warm water. At that point I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, the heating element went out of the water heater. Just our luck, right! So the husband was busy plowing the slush off the roads and still managed to get a new element bought. This was even after my dad suggested not replacing that. Good thing my husband is so good at fixing anything and everything because replacing the heating element gave us hot water again! And we definitely needed it after Jayden had a major blow-out. Haha.
Devin, Jayden and Shaylee used some paint dabbers to create some fun pictures. Shaylee was more monitoring to make sure there wasn't a mess for Devin and then Jayden wanted to join in. It was so cute. They all had such a blast in doing this.


Jayden also worked hard to show how careful he could be.


Devin made beautiful pictures using stamps and paint.

Jayden says "He eh go" as he tries to share with Devin.
Some days are harder than others. Parts of today were rough in trying to get my boys to clean their room. I expect all of my kids to pick up after themselves. I have no problems letting them play and make a mess, but when the playing is done, it needs to get picked up. Well is that too much to ask?
After giving warning after warning, setting the timer, giving time limits, and telling the kids they would get their toys taken out of their room if they aren't picked up, it really happened. I spent the entire day (well almost every day) trying to get my boys to pick up their room. Every single time I walked out they would go back to playing and would not pick up their toys or clothes. I was beyond frustrated as well as the husband. He would ask how they were doing and I would tell him and ask what next. After he came home and talked to them himself I expected to see results. Nope. Not a thing. In fact, it was almost worse. Why is it that hard to pick up toys and clothes? I just don't get it. Do they not want to do anything fun? I mean seriously, they could have had that picked up in 30 minutes, but nope. They wouldn't do a thing in there but play.
The last straw was when I gave a 30 minute warning saying I was removing all of the toys, every single one of them from their room if they weren't picked up when the timer went off. So, 30 minutes later, I went back in there and nothing was done. The work was cut out for me. Shaylee and Shawndra helped and within 20 minutes, all that was left was clothes, their dressers, books, and the beds.
The husband and I fight with this problem every single time we ask for something to be cleaned in there. No consequence ever works. We've taken toys, computer time, Wii, outside time, bikes, early bedtime, no cake or ice cream, among many others. Nothing works. I give up!
Then I get to hear what someone says on the phone to the husband, "I'm glad your not my dad." That's it. Seriously. If anyone thinks they can do it better or have better ideas then please share because both of us are at our whitts ends trying to come up with a strategy that will work. And let me remind you, both of us feel our kids (after a certain age) are perfectly capable of having chores and cleaning their own rooms.
Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but I am stressed and am going to bed. G'night!




No comments: