Wednesday, January 13, 2010

degenerative disc disease

I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my C2-C7 vertebrae, which is basically my entire neck. I have known this for about 6 years now. It was actually discovered after a very minor car accident, where I should not have had as much neck trouble as I had. After a continuous 3 weeks of care, I mentioned that minor accident, which then explained everything. X-rays were taken and the obvious was seen...by my doctor, not by me. I mean, after it was explained to me, I vaguely understood it.

What does have DDD really mean? Well, at that time, when I was about 26 years old, I was told my neck was in the shape of a 60 year old woman. Little things can jar it and cause weeks, if not months, of pain and problems.

I have learned to deal with it and I loved my chiropractor, Dr. Scott Munsterman. He was my doctor for about 17 years and he was wonderful. He would still be wonderful, except he no longer is practicing chiropractic because he is running for Governor of South Dakota. So in my new found pain, my new flare up of DDD, I find myself trying to build a relationship with a new doctor and his ways of practicing. And it's not the same.

Yesterday, I was placed in a traction machine which was an experience of a lifetime. I'm sure it would have been ok, but I have a huge history of watching scary/horror movies which have led me to believe that this traction machine could easily be used in one of those movies. I was told to lay on my back and stick my head in these tight side barriers around my neck and then my head was velcrowed down. This machine would literally pull my neck causing a stretch.

After strapping me in, velcrowing me down, and asking if I was comfortable, I was given a button to stop the machine if it caused me pain or I got tired of it. The doctor then explained I could undo the velcrow and I would be out. (I wonder how many people freak out in that machine that they have to tell you how to get out of it??)

Anyhow, as I was laying there, all I could picture is what if this machine goes haywire and keeps pulling and my head comes off? Or how funny do I look with this contraption on my head and my eyes bulging out my head because the velcrow acted as if I had major plastic surgery or botox? Then I would chuckle at myself and think, geez, I need to watch more chick flicks and leave these scary movies alone!

My neck is still stiff and sore. I'm still seeing the chiropractor 3 times a week. At this point, he is talking about doing some x-rays to see how far the DDD has progressed. I've been having lots of tingling in my hands and tough nights of sleep due to the pain. Right now, I'm just doing moist heat with a heating pad on top of my neck, stretches, appointments with him, and traction therapy. We'll see what the future holds.