Monday, January 10, 2011

hit in the face

My husband never goes to the doctor, which I've heard is very typical for a man. If they are hurt they grin and bear it, or glue it together, or duct tape it, or something. And if you even get to the point where they admit they are hurt, then you know it's serious. That happened to me tonight.

My husband called and told me when he got back to the shop he was going to the hospital because he was hit in the face with a handy man jack. Instant panic hit me, but I think I kept it under control. He rattled off that he had to do other stuff before he could go, but I'm sure that was adrenaline speaking, or just being the boss speaking.

I quickly picked up the kids and had Shawndra watch them while I went back to town to pick him up and take him to the hospital. My first view of him was his cheek was very swollen, his nose was crooked and bleeding, and he had a welt on his cheek. He told me his cheek, teeth and nose hurt. He looked tough.

As I drove him to the hospital he told me that he had the weight of the plow up on the jack and he was pushing down on the handle, when his wet gloves slipped off, and the handle smacked him in the face. One inch higher and he could have lost his eye. One inch lower and he could have lost his teeth.

The doctor's and nurses in the ER joked about how hard his wife had hit him and how he should learn to duck when I'm swinging. He got quite the kick out of that.

They did an x-ray to see if the bone below his eye was broke. Not only was it clear of a break, but there were no fractures! Praise God! He will be very swollen and black and blue for several weeks. His teeth feel loose to him and his nose is sore and still bleeding off and on. His cheek is looking like there is a large golf ball under his cheek, along with the swelling you typically see from one who has had their wisdom teeth pulled. He's sore. But considering what happened, things could have turned out much worse.

Frozen peas, Motrin and Heath Klondike bars have been the highlights of his evening. And as I type this, his eye is already turning colors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to God that it was not any worse then it is. Heal fast Mike!! Prayers are going out for you!