Friday, April 8, 2011

taking back control

Jayden has continued to be uncooperative today. He threw himself down on the clinic floor, grunted, said no, and refused to cooperate for me, Mike or the doctor. But it's typical. And the doctor told me pretty much what I expected him to tell me. That Jayden is in control and he has us paralyzed. Oh and that he does have an infection, so he's on antibiotics.

Our doctor recommends we get use a family counselor to learn ways to get control of Jayden. This is so ironic, since this is something I would be telling one of the families I work with. However, doctor said many times with our own children we don't see it. I do see it, which is why my life is an open book to anyone who will listen about it. We've known about these problems with Jayden for years and have reached out for help, but once again, I guess the changes that need to be made are on us.

I imagine this will be tough. Jayden has had some special treatments all of his life because of our traumatic his life was for the first year. He has gained control and we have lost it. Cracking down and meaning what we say and treating everyone equal (as bad as that sounds) will be the new attempted norm until we figure out what to do with a counselor.

We started tonight. Actually continued from last night. Meaning what we say. Cleaning his room. Simply, putting his toys in his toy box. He's trying to prove he won't do it by not doing it and we're trying to prove he will do this. It could be a long weekend. Slamming his door, opening and closing, and asking questions are some of his ways of controlling us in this situation. And locking us out of his room. We changed that. His door knob is now switched around, so he cannot lock him out, but we can lock him in. In a nicer put way, he cannot continually open the door, slam it, or ask questions. He has lost that control.

So let's see how this goes, shall we?

No comments: