Thursday, April 7, 2011

parenting is hard

Oh my goodness is parenting hard. At some point a few years ago I thought parenting was hard, but I think I have crossed a whole new era. Jayden has been completely defiant since 12:30 today. He was uncooperative the entire day at preschool and just kept it up at home. He refuses to do anything anyone asks. Me, his teachers, his dad. He has spent the entire afternoon and evening in his room, simply because he won't pick up his toys or throw away the garbage.

Now don't shake your head at me like that....I can tell what some of you are probably thinking and that's why I hate to put the brutal truth on here. But I'm so done letting him run my life and him choosing where we can go or what we can do. I don't think it's too much to ask for a 4 year old to pick up a few toys and put them in the toy box and to throw away the wipes that he has strewn all around his room.

However, Jayden doesn't think he needs to do this either. All we have heard tonight is "NO" in refusing to do this.

He came out to eat supper and thought he was going to play after that, but was told he had to pick up his room. How one little person can be so defiant and so stubborn and refuse to do the simplest tasks is beyond me.

I have gone as far as scheduling an appointment with his doctor tomorrow because we are at a loss as to what to do. A long time ago his doctor suggested we try a medication to help reduce the amount of energy or stamina he has during these fits, but we all agreed to wait it out a little longer. Now is the time to figure out what we do next. Is it time for another visit to behavioral health? Medicine? A deeper look into his behavior?

I find all of this to be even more frustrating because I have a degree to work with children and I currently work with several children who exhibit similar tendancies, except with my own child, I cannot figure out what works and what doesn't.

I say parenting is hard for other reasons too, but tonight, Jayden is taking the cake, and is still going strong in refusing to go to bed. It's 9pm and I'm exhausted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers that you find the answers you need. I totally agree parenting is soooo hard. Someone once told me that there will be days when you feel that they (the children) have sucked the life right out of you and that is how I feel most days. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Sending hugs!

Steph in ND