Wednesday, April 6, 2011

shot of Cortisone

I've had a lack of blogging again I see. Tonight I'm so very tired, but my own husband was kind enough to tell me that it's been almost a week since I updated our blog. Maybe it's because I feel like nobody reads what I write or it's a fear of writing what I really want to say in moments of lull. Either way, here I am.

I went to the Orthopedic Institute on Monday to see the doctor regarding the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my wrist. I've already had the Nerve Conduction Test done, which definitely diagnosed it. On Monday I received my first ever shot of Cortisone. Painful is the best way to describe that. Not the kind of pain where you cry, but the kind where you tense up tight and scream OUCH. That's when the doctor asked me if it felt like he was shooting electricity up my hand. You betcha, that was it. Just like I was holding a high voltage electric fence.

Then he said my hand would feel funny and feel like it was getting full. He had me make a fist and I couldn't really do it. My whole hand felt swollen and full. It was so weird. And then it went numb for several hours. Ever try signing your name when you have zero feeling in your hand? Well, it's quite amusing. Holding the pen is a challenge in itself, yet alone trying to control a pen when you have no feeling.

I'm also in a splint for the next 8 weeks at night. And I have to take 3 Ibuprofen and 2 Tylenol all a the same time 4 times a day. That is 20 pills a day. Crazy, huh! But my hand feels amazing. It hasn't gone to sleep, itched, or tingled since I received the shot.

No comments: