Thursday, March 4, 2010

endings and beginnings

Today was the last day I drove to Madison. It was also the last time I drove home from Madison. At least in my personal vehicle, for work that is. Who knows, maybe someday I'll travel to Madison "just because". Nah, I doubt it.

For the last 1 1/2 years I have called Madison my home away from home. My place to earn a living, to pay the bills, and to have a job. But as today, I no longer travel to Madison. It was a bitter sweet ending. Saying good bye to families the last couple of weeks was hard, plus not being able to say good bye to families for various reasons left a feeling of no closure. But...

knowing I was coming to Brookings to work was a whole new beginning, something I have longed for since the day I was hired. I took the job in Madison in hopes that it would get me to Brookings at some point. Kind of like putting my foot in the door.

And here I am. I can now take my kids to daycare, pick them up, go out to lunch with my husband or friends, run errands on my breaks, plus just be home. I mean Brookings is my home. It's where I was born and raised. So it's great to be home.

So here's to bitter sweet endings and refreshing new beginnings.

No comments: