Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Icy Day and a Steep Driveway

Have I mentioned I love my house? I love having a garage to park my car in! I love that our street is finished and there is no more drop off or muddy mess at the end of my driveway. However, I've decided as of today, that I do not like my steep driveway when it's icy. I learned today that even having breaks on and "thinking" you are stopped, doesn't mean you will stay in one place on the driveway. Yep, that's right. Backed out of the garage today, nice and slow, reached up to push the garage door opener to shut the garage, when I had the weird feeling I was moving. The pine tree next to me was moving, but that just wasn't possible. At that moment, I realized I was sliding down my driveway. I frantically looked both directions hoping and praying there were no vehicles coming because I obviously wasn't able to stop. Thank goodness there was no traffic, no children, no garbage cans, no mailboxes....just me, entering our road SIDEWAYS after sliding down the driveway. Let me tell you, it's a feeling of NO control. The amazing thing? I actually got back UP the driveway when I came home. Ok, it took several attempts and I had to gun it across the street, but I made it. My car is safely parked in the garage, basking in the heat, and thankful for a safe trip home.

Now the ice stories don't stop there. I cruised down HWY 14 at 40 MPH until I realized it was just wet in the driving lane. There was no way I was going into the passenger lane. That looked nasty! I run my errands, go to the chiropracter, and then head to Wal-Mart. I thought Wal-Mart had some GREAT front row parking spots. So I parked, opened my door, and stuck my foot in 6 inch deep water. No wonder these great spots were open...they were FLOODED! So I back out, and move to the other side of that row. Nice spot, it's dry, looks good. I get out and at the same moment I am doing the splits getting out of my car I realize I'm on really thin slippery ice.

I should also mention that dragging two very full 30 gallon garbage cans across the lawn is a joy too. Crunch, crunch, through the snow/ice. I get to the boulevard and realize once again that I am sliding on my lawn/dirt. I jump to the rocks. Bad mistake, those were worse than the lawn. I'm sure I looked absolutely silly. At least I didn't fall....