Friday, June 1, 2012

we are outsiders

After living in this town for 4 years, I would have hoped that we would eventually fit in, that we wouldn't be viewed as outsiders, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.  I can see the families that are grouped together and friends along with their children.  I see you sitting in the bleachers saving spaces for your other friends.  I have tried having conversations with some of you, only to fail.  Some of you who live in this town have welcomed us with open arms and view our family no differently.  Some of you don't.  We are outsiders.  We will never fully fit in.  But we won't give up.

Moving from a bigger town to a smaller town when  your children are already school age is tough.  Even though the school is small and friends will be made, your children will never really be one of them.  Of course they will have friends, be invited to sleepovers, laugh and have fun, but when it really comes down to sticking together, the people from this town will stick with the original group and leave the outsiders sit.

Last night and today, I have found my voice.  I finally had enough and stood up for what I believe in.  I stood up for my kids.  I was their voice.  And now I pray, that with the changes that are to come, that the repercussions and retaliation is minimal.  I will know within the week how bad things are going to get and I hope the worst has already happened.  However, it will all depend on how the parents of these kids decide to react to the situation.  I pray for them to handle this like mature adults and protect the kids from what is happening behind the scenes.

We are outsiders living in a small town, looking for fairness and equality.

   

No comments: