Thursday, July 8, 2010

screws

My step dad had surgery today on his arm from his motorcycle accident. The break was falling apart and his hand was falling into his wrist, so the surgery was very needed. A plate and screws were placed in his arm under the muscle, so he shouldn't lose any flexibility in his wrist. This was awesome news. The doctor said his bones were very smooth and they fit back together perfectly. The recovery after surgery today has been rough on him. The pain is intense, but he is receiving pain medication through a pump. Hopefully in 6 weeks he will be good to go, or at least better than he is now.

Ironically enough, while he was in surgery today, I was being told the news of my screws. You know, the ones loose in my head. OK, not really, but it sounded good!

I've had knee pain for many years after my last knee scope. Well a good month ago, I fell down the stairs because of my dog. Seriously! Anyhow, my knee hurt, but I dealt with it, except I have lots of pain when sitting and then going back to standing, or stairs, or carrying things, or stretching my legs. I finally drug myself to the doctor today pretty much knowing I am going to need my knee scoped again due to torn cartilage. The doctor agreed and sent me to x-ray because that's the process in order to get an MRI.

He finally called me back to his office and while he was pulling up the electronic x-rays, we were talking about the different ways I can make the pain recur. He guessed there might be something else going on. About that time, he got the x-rays pulled up and that's when he seen it. Apparently I have fractured or broken a piece of bone on the right side of my knee. It was goofy looking and he's not exactly sure what happened. There was another piece on the other side of my knee that looked like a calcium deposit or a bone chip, but again, not sure.

So I asked him, what does this mean? How do we fix it? And he then tells me depending on how healed it is, they will have to go in and put a screw in it to hold it together or possibly rebreak that spot and then put a screw in. Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. I expected the x-rays to be normal and to then get scheduled for an MRI. Instead, I have abnormal x-rays and an MRI scheduled for Monday.

As the doctor said, this means we are possibly dealing with 2 separate issues.

No comments: