Friday, May 6, 2011

stuttering

I have noticed lately that Jayden stutters at the beginning of nearly every sentence. They typically start out with, "I, I, I want" or whatever other word is in there. The first word is repeated three times though. It's gotten worse over the last week now and of course I forgot to bring it up at Jayden's IEP meeting.

Today I called his speech therapist to see if she has noticed it, which she has. She told me it's more common in boys between the ages of 2-6 and is considered developmental. It can last from a few weeks to a few months, but is also something we need to keep an eye on. She said we don't want it to become a habit for him, or go longer than a year.

When I asked if there was anything we could do about it she just said to watch it, but not to draw attention to it or correct as that can lead to self confidence problems. And I think he already has a bit of that going on too.

So as if there isn't enough going on with him, let's toss this on top too. When is this little boy going to be given a break?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Zack does the same thing at times... I was told the same as you, to watch it....