Thursday, June 3, 2010

nope, no go

This is long, but leads to a funny story. Bear with me and read on...you'll laugh, I promise!

I woke Jayden up really early (6am) so we could head to Sioux Falls for doctor appointments. Jayden wanted nothing to do with going potty before we left, so I packed lots of underwear and several shorts with me, just in case he had accidents. I debated on bringing the choo choo toilet seat, but left it at home.

He slept the whole way down and had dry pants when we arrived. As we walk into the doctor office, I ask if he has to go potty, to which he says no. After our appointments I decided he was going to try to go potty because it was now 8:30 and he needed to try. That alone made him very mad. He locked his knees backwards and arched his back and started screaming. I plopped him on the toilet, but nope, no go.

I run some more errands for work and then drive all the way across Sioux Falls to Petco. Jayden was very excited to go into Petco. We looked at the animals, watched the ferrets get their glass cage cleaned, counted the mice, and then Jayden said he had to go potty. I find the bathroom and take him in. He sees the toilet and starts screaming so loud I swear it's echoing through the intercom. I sit him on the potty sideways thinking that will work. I encourage him, try to calm him, attempt to help him, but nope, no go. We go back out to the store and buy some dog bones and leave.

Our next stop was the mall. I knew they had family bathrooms there with small toilets beside the big toilets. He was interested in the small one, so he pulled down his pants and sat down on it. I'm thinking, yes this is great, he's going to go potty! Well, the little toilet started to flush all on it's own while he was sitting on it. Jayden did not think that was cool at all and was done. Nope, no go! By now I'm frustrated. It's after 10am and he hasn't gone potty yet today!

We grab a bit to eat and shortly later, Jayden says he has to go potty. So we literally run through the food court, into the family bathroom, and onto the little toilet. This time I help him sit and I use my other hand to cover the sensor on the wall so it doesn't flush, but nope, no go. Jayden wasn't gonna go.

Well, now it's time to venture across the mall to JCPenny to exchange Shawndra's swim suit. Of course, there is no bottoms to match the top in the size we need, so we're back to square one with Shawndra trying on swim suits. Now Jayden decides he's going to lay down on the floor. Not cute. He won't move. So now I'm resorted to carrying him or leaving him and I didn't want him to get lost, so I carried him. Before long, he has to go potty, so we head to those bathrooms. I show him the toilets and he's refusing to even try. It's 1pm and he has not gone potty and his pants are still dry. I tell him he can either go here or we can go back and find Shawndra. He said he wanted to find Shawndra. Off we went.

Jayden then refused to walk through the mall. I'm in no shape to carry a 3 year old through the mall. I tell him I'm leaving as he's lying on the floor. He just lays there. I walk quite a ways away and look back. He doesn't care. He's still laying there. So now I walk back because people are starting to look at him, like where's your mom? I pick him up and carry him to a bench and plop him down. He rolls to the floor and lays there. I'm hot, sweaty, and in no mood to deal with this. But alas, I have no choice. I ended up carrying this boy through the mall to the entrance, back into the family bathrooms, sit him on the potty, but nope, no go.

It's time to go home to Brookings for more doctor appointments. He sleeps the whole way. We get inside, he lays on the floor, so I have to carry him again. After the appointments it's now 2:30pm and he still has not gone potty yet today and his pants are still dry. Off to Wal-Mart.

I drop off the prescriptions and they say it's going to be a half hour, so we go shopping. Half hour later, we pick up the medicines and head towards self check to check out. I'm scanning items and Jayden is starting to whine. I assume it's because he's in the cart and wants out. He tries standing up and whining and I tell him to sit down. Then I see it....

He's peeing. I think oh it won't be so bad. But at 3pm after not peeing all day, it was bad. He kept going and going, like the Energizer bunny. It's running down the cart, splashing on the floor and making a puddle. A big puddle. This isn't a puddle I can walk away from and no one will notice. This is a puddle as big as your arms when you connect them. Huge!

After having several check out problems with the cashier, I look at him and say, "my son just peed on the floor" with a red face and a small smile. He looks at me like, are you serious...which I totally am. He calls for a CSM. The CSM comes over and doesn't have a radio. In the meantime, my friend pulls up to the next check out and I proceed to tell her what happened until we have tears coming down our face from laughing. The whole situation was...well...funny and embarrassing and I think it was the only way I knew how to react.

Soon, a member of management comes over along with several other workers and the manager looks at the mess and look at me and say, "what happened?" in the most serious tone. I just told them he peed and then it happened. Somehow, some way, there was huge miscommunication and it was reported over all the employees radios that this was a "code white" or an "accident/injury" where someone got hurt. And that my friends, requires people to come rushing at Nascar speed. So there I stand with my soaking wet son, a huge puddle on the floor, tears on my face as they start closing down the check out. The big orange sign comes out to show it's WET.

Mortified. Embarrassed. Feeling bad for Jayden. Wanting to get the heck out of there. Not knowing what to do. That's when the manager gets back on the radio and explains very briefly what happened stating we needed a mop and bucket, that it was not a "code white". Some smarty pants says, "oh, so it's a code yellow?" Oh brother.

We leave and go home. Jayden runs in the house, goes upstairs and says he has to go potty. Into the bathroom he goes and Goes Potty.

1 comment:

Kath- said...

LOL gotta love potty training