Wednesday, February 17, 2010

he qualifies

So it finally happened. The 3 years have passed and Jayden has reached that age where he no longer can be on an IFSP. Well, he's not 3 until Sunday, but for this purpose he is 3. We've undergone weeks of planning appointments, many evaluations, trips to the doctor, and finally, we had the meeting yesterday.

He qualifies. He qualifies. He is now on an IEP (individualized education plan). His speech therapy won't stop. I was so scared thinking he probably wouldn't qualify because so many people have told me that it is hard to qualify a 3 year old, but he made it. Barely. The cut-off is 75 and he scored a 74.

He will be receiving speech therapy once a week and early childhood once a week. I'm so thankful that he did qualify because I know that he needs these services. Some parents might feel differently. In fact I know they feel differently because I work with families that don't want to face the fact that their child probably does need these services.

Anyhow, I know that Jayden is delayed and has a tough time talking, so I know by having him qualify for this it means he will receive that extra boost to keep him going along and hopefully better prepare him for school in two years. I'm glad he qualifies. I'm glad he will be receiving this additional help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that is one thing less to worry about! I am glad.

Anonymous said...

Well that is one thing less to worry about! I am glad.